Process impact: This document outlines legal issues that may affect this release. Failure to carefully consider these issues may put the development organization
at risk for legal action.
Ownership of Intellectual Property
||No intent to trademark "KoLmafia"
|Java Platform classes
||Supplied to end users with Java Runtime Environment
|Excelsior Jet Badge
||Excelsior and Excelsior JET are trademarks of Excelsior LLC in the Russian Federation and other countries. The Excelsior JET Badge is a trademark of Excelsior LLC, used with permission.
||Patented algorithms will not be used
||Strong encryption exports must be declared
||Using widely-documented algorithms (SSL, MD5 hash)
||Cannot collect personal information from minors
||System does not collect personal data from users
||Game industry rating
||Does not create its own gaming environment
Legal Issues Worksheet
The goal of this worksheet is to help expose legal issues that might otherwise be missed. It does not help with the actual management of legal issues.
- Does the development organization hold trademarks on the product name and any other names used in marketing the product?
- No. Since no attempt will be made to profit from the product, this should also not be a serious issue. However, we will make sure not to impinge on the trademarks of others in order to avoid possible troubles that may arise.
- Does the development organization hold or license patents on intellectual property that is used in the product?
- Yes. The project will attempt to avoid intellectual property that is patented by other organizations. In addition to this, the product will be released under the Berkeley Software Development (BSD) License, which, to some degree, provides everyone free use of the intellectual property therein.
- Does the development organization hold or license copyrights on source code that is used in the product?
- Yes, the product will be released under the Berkeley Software Development (BSD) License, and thus all source code that is developed independently of other projects under the same license will have license copyrights held by the development organization.
- For each component in the product, is that component being used in a way that complies with its license?
- At the current time, all components comply with the Berkeley Software Development (BSD) License and all source code for these components supplies the text of the license for future referral. There is also a display available in the binary form of the product which displays the license and its requirements, as is required by the BSD License.
- For each piece of copyrighted data in the product, is that data being used in a way that complies with its license?
- There is no data in the product that is copyrighted by an outside company at the current time. No action required.
- Was any component or data produced by another organization under contract?
- No. No action required.
- Does the product use technologies that are under export control?
- No. No action required.
- Does the product need to meet industry-specific regulations?
- No. No action needed.
- Does the product satisfy corporate policies (e.g., on privacy and security)?
- Yes. Because no corporate policies are in effect, no policies apply, which subsequently means the product satisfies all existing corporate policies. For more details related to privacy and security, please see the tables above.